Intelligent building: Connecting people since 1869
The PORR Group that we know today started out as the Allgemeine österreichische Baugesellschaft (General Austrian Construction Company), founded on 16 March 1869. The first listing of its shares on the Vienna Stock Exchange took place on 8 April 1869.
One of the company’s first contracts was the conversion of the horse-drawn railway between Linz and Budweis. One-third of the line was ready for operation in 1870, and the company went on to receive further contracts, first in Vienna, and subsequently in other parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Concrete pioneer Arthur Porr
Due to the rapid progress in reinforced concrete construction around the turn of the century, it was essential to bring key experts into the business. In 1908, a new company was founded with civil engineer Arthur Porr: A. Porr Betonbau-Unternehmung.
Opening up new horizons
After the First World War, the residential construction sector came to a virtual standstill. However, pioneering spirit cannot be halted: PORR erected numerous suspension and terminal towers, often in remote and inhospitable areas. These PORR pylons continue to supply remote areas of Austria with power to this day.
On 31 December 1927, Allgemeine Baugesellschaft was merged with A. Porr Betonbau-Unternehmung: Allgemeine Baugesellschaft – A. Porr Aktiengesellschaft was founded.
Focus areas after 1945
PORR was heavily involved in rebuilding Austria after the Second World War – in difficult circumstances. One of the projects entrusted to the company at this time was the development of the Mariazeller Bundesstrasse road through Lower Austria. Prestigious buildings such as the Vienna State Opera also needed to be rebuilt. PORR was actively involved in steering Austria into a new and successful future. Constructed between 1953 and 1955, the Vienna Ringturm tower, which was a sensation at the time with its 21 floors, was Vienna’s second tallest building for some time.
PORR went on to prove itself as a bridge builder. At Bergisel near Innsbruck, it constructed a bridge at dizzying heights to carry the Brenner Autobahn. To this day, many of the key elements of this important north-south route are PORR structures. The 1960s saw the implementation of numerous large-scale general construction projects, including office buildings and business premises.
Work also began on a series of projects using the Danube as an energy source, in which PORR was to have significant involvement up until the mid-1990s. An impressive excavation technique was used for the first time during the construction of the Ybbs-Persenbeug power station. In order to waterproof the construction pit, weeks were spent driving planks into the river bed before the actual work began.
PORR goes international
By the start of the 1970s, PORR could already look back on a proud history of more than 100 years helping to shape Austria. Over this century, the company acquired expertise in almost all areas of the construction industry: industrial and residential construction, pipelines, tunnels, roads, underground garages, railway lines and power stations. The new Austrian tunnelling method revolutionised tunnel construction around the world. Ready-mixed concrete was increasingly used in towns and cities, and PORR was also involved in developing new road surfaces.
From 1869 to the present day: innovation meets tradition.
Foundation of “Allgemeine österreichische Baugesellschaft”
First listing on the stock exchange
Construction of seven exhibition pavilions and numerous hotels for the World Exhibition in Vienna
Merger to become “Allgemeine Baugesellschaft- A. Porr Aktiengesellschaft”
Pioneering projects such as the Grossglockner Alpine Road
Construction of various power plants, roads, railways and industrial facilities
Executing large-scale general contractor projects
Construction of many office and commercial buildings such as the Ringturm Tower in Vienna
PORR receives initial tunnelling contracts from Deutsche Bahn in Germany
PORR successively acquires Radmer Bau Aktiengesellschaft in Munich, established in 1948
Radmer Bau AG is renamed to PORR Aktiengesellschaft, Munich, and integration in the organisation of Allgemeine Baugesellschaft — A. Porr AG in Vienna
Change of legal form of PORR AG with residence in Munich in PORR Deutschland GmbH
PORR – international success
Extensive reorganization and founding of the powerful PORR Bau GmbH
Corporate wording change
"Allgemeine Baugesellschaft-A. Porr Aktiengesellschaft" becomes PORR AG
PORR Deutschland GmbH acquires Stump Spezialtiefbau GmbH
PORR has spun off its real estate business and become a pure construction company
The headquarters in Munich move to new office building in Parkstadt Schwabing
PORR Deutschland GmbH acquires Franki Grundbau GmbH & Co. KG in Seevetal as well as Oevermann GmbH based in Munster